Monday, October 31, 2011

cupcakes anyone?

I love cupcakes. And I LOVE them better if they are the center-filled kind. Most of the really good cupcake shops are unfortunately located in the city. So it's only when we drive to the city to get-together with friends do I get the chance to buy them.

Here are a couple of shops that we love:

Molly's Cupcakes
2536 North Clark Street
Chicago Illinois 60614

I love Molly's! This is by far my favorite cupcake store. Their shop is almost always full with people even at 10pm. And yes, they are open 'til 10pm. Their shop is quaint and very homey. There are chairs, benches and tables of course. Cute design on  the bar, instead of bar stools, they have swing-like seats! Really neat. Oh and board games are available for use, for free. So I imagine that they encourage their patrons to stay and linger while finishing their cupcakes.

photo credits: gwiv
photo credits: cupcake crusader

photo credits: molly's cupcakes
I've tried most of the flavors that offer, but by far my favorites are Tiramisu and Boston Creme. Oh man, just looking at these photos makes me crave for one.

Boston Creme
Tiramisu (photo credits: addicted2detail)
More Cupcakes
1 East Delaware Place
Chicago, Illinois 60611

I discovered More Cupcakes a couple of months ago. I personally haven't been to the store, but Topher surprised me with a box full of cupcakes when he went downtown. From pictures on their website, their shop looks really slick and minimal. Attention is purely on the cupcakes.

photo credits: leenaeats.com
shop's interior (photo credits: architectmagazine)
more box
happiness in a box
I'm afraid every cupcake that I would be having, I'd compare it to Molly's. More cupcakes are good, the bread is very chocolaty and the center-filled ones are really good too. I specially liked their Hazelnut flavor, but Molly's still have the 1st spot in my heart (and stomach). More is a fab second.

Crumbs Bake Shop
303 West Madison
Chicago, IL 60606

There are currently 4 Crumbs shop in Chicago and I haven't been to a single one. Yet. This is one of the cupcake shop that are all over the country. From west to the east coast. I got to try their cupcakes twice on gatherings with friends.

photo credits: crumbs.com
Unfortunately, I can't remember anything special when I had them. I'm not sure if they have cupcakes with center-filled ones because the ones we're tried doesn't have them.

best-sellers @ crumbs

Sprinkles Cupcakes
50 E Walton St.,
Chicago, Illinois 60611

Sprinkles' Chicago location opened a year ago, when they opened Topher and a couple of our friends lined up for their store opening. I wasn't able to join them as I am back in Manila at that time. They said that the cupcakes are good and they have tons of flavors to choose from.

photo credits: cupcakestakethecake
photo credits: worldbestspot
Their cupcakes looks really cute and I hope the frosting is good. I'm not for the super sweet frosting.

Had we held our wedding here in Chicago and not back in Manila, I would definitely get my cake/cupcakes from one of these shops. Most probably from Molly's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love cupcakes too! My favorite, which I've featured before, would be the cupcakes from Sophie's Mom. I also like Sonja's cupcakes (at Serendra).

Thanks for posting this, Aleng, nag-crave ako bigla haha.

ålêng said...

Leah, meron na bang center-filled cupcakes sa'tin? Since na-try ko yun, I'm very partial with that. Parang hindi na kompleto kapag walang filling sa loob. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails