Wednesday, October 13, 2010

a bitterswet homecoming

It's been more than 2 months and yet I'm not at all back in the wedding preps game. I feel like I have so many things to write about. I'm gonna start with how I spent my time in Manila when I went home unexpectedly.

July 26 to 28 - I booked my flight back to Manila on the early morning of July 24, my Lola was still with us then. I hoped and prayed that I will be able to see her alive, but God seems to have a different plan. My flight to Manila was around 12nn CDT via Korean Air. The flight was LOOOOONG to say the least, but it was uneventful. I was pleasantly surprised at the plane and I find the flight attendants soooo pretty. They have the cutest outfit! (with a huge ribbon on their neck)

(Korean Air Flight Attendants)
Food is also good, they provided snacks every two hours or so. Each coach passenger has her own monitor, so that beats the long flight going to Seoul (stopover). There was a 4 hr overlay in ICN but the wait was not something you'll fuss over. ICN was loaded, they have showers and lounge areas where you can kick back and relax while waiting for the flight.

As soon as we landed, I have to mentally brace myself for what I will see once we were at my Lola's. I know she's already in her casket, that was really hard. The last time I saw her, she was alive and well. Honestly, it didn't really hit me that she was gone, all the time that I was there, I kept waiting for her to come at one of the doors.

July 29 - Started the day early, we went to Lola's wake. I had a real hard time with the weather. Although it was summer in Chicago when I left, Manila's heat is something else. Humidity takes the heat on to a whole new level. At around lunchtime, we (Chai and I) went to Gateway Cubao. I had to retrieve a package that I've sent to a friend's family. At around 4pm, we're back in Cavite. Stayed until midnight for Lola's wake.

July 30 - Early day again, we went straight to Lola's wake. In the afternoon, Chai, I and Ate Dith went to SM Dasma to buy white polo shirts for the following day's interment.

July 31 - It was a sad and exhausting day. Hard to say goodbye to Lola forever. :(

Aug 01 - Attended the weekly mass at Our Lady of La Sallette. I know if Lola had been there, she would not miss the Sunday mass. Although my reasons for going home was less that ideal, I tried to squeeze in as many preparations that I can until the time to return to Chicago. After mass, Chai and I went to SM Megamall to attend the Wedding Congress Asia. I was actually disappointment with the number of participants, as the suppliers that I'm looking for were not there. I also stopped by the W@W booth, unfortunately no one was there, I think they attended a birthday party.

Aug 02 - Lola's 9th day. There was a little salo-salo at her house, by lunchtime I went to SM Dasma for a footspa. I plan to enjoy the little things that we cannot enjoy in US because it's way too expensive there.

Aug 03 - My Tatay cleared his day for me. He accompanied me to Tagaytay so that I can personally check our reception venue and hotels for the wedding preps. It was drizzling when we got to Moon Garden. The garden and pavillion was nice and pretty, as it was in the pictures. I was just a bit concerned about the space of the pavilion and where the stage will be set. K by Cunanan is one of their accredited caterers and so I'm pretty confident that they know their way around the place. Afterwards, we went to One Tagaytay Place to check their penthouse suite. I find the hotel far from the church and a bit crowded. We had lunch at Army Navy/ Yellow Cab before heading to Summit Ridge. I was impressed with the hotel, the huge reception feel of it. Rooms are a bit on the small side though. Taal Vista was next. The rooms are impressive specially those at the new wing, although they are on the expensive!. Last on my list was The Lake Hotel since it was fairly new. The place was a bit disgusting and unkept. Unbelievably, their rates are extorbitant, it's ridiculous.

Aug 04 - We visited my Lola in Las Pinas (father side). My youngest cousin is big now, how time flies. I'm happy to see them all again! :) Before heading home, I asked my Tatay to drop me off at a spa. I had one hell of a massage, it was soooo great!

Aug 05 - I had my trial make-up with MUA Cheryl Cabanos. She had a morning radio interview that day so my schedule was set back by 2 hours from the original schedule. We traveled all the way to QC for the trial. Her place was near Trinoma. We had a hard time looking for the place because it was raining hard. I loved my make-up and she's really nice! She asks me questions on how I wanted to look and if I liked how the make-up was set. Too bad her hair artist was not there at the time.

(my trial make-up with Cheryl Cabanos)

Aug 06 - Started the day early, got my hair rebonded. We started at around 10am and finished by 5pm. Just in time to go to Alabang to meet-up with Tin and Karen. I went straight to Festival to where Karen was working and then we waited for Tin to pick us up. We had a fantastic dinner at Kanin Club (LOVED the Tinapa Rice!) and then coffee at Starbucks before heading home.

(me, Tin and Karen @ Starbucks ATC)

Aug 07 - Shopping day at Greenhills. How I missed GH! The craziness, the people, the food and most specially the outfits! :) Chai and I had lunch at Racks and then we met Roshee at Bizu. It was already 4pm when we got to the bus stop going home to Cavite. Traffic was soooo terrible at Coastal Road, unbelievable. Titay celebrated her birthday and there was a small salo-salo at the kubo, too bad we missed it because of freakin' traffic. Ugh!

(Roshee, me and Chai at Bizu)

Aug 08 - Sunday Mass at La Sallette in Silang. Chai and I went home immediately afterwards since we have to pick up food for our HS get-together. Attendees are: Chie (w/Betty and Chloe), Eih, Lau, Fonti and Kaye (with Euno), Angel and Rex (with Eoin) and me!

(group picture!)

Aug 09 - Just stayed at home today, waited for Carlo to be back from school. Went to Ate Didith place across the street. Namiss kong mangapitbahay! :))

Aug 10 - Left home early, planned to renew my driver's license in Alabang and meet our OTD afterwards. However when I got to the LTO office in ATC, they said it's offline. I had to ask what that explicitly means because I really had no idea. Basically, their computers are down since the day before and no renewals whatsoever can be done. Great! Now I had to wait for more than 2 hrs for the mall to open and another 2 hrs to meet our OTD. Spent the morning in McD people watching while waiting for the mall to open at 11am. By 1pm, our OTD, Ms. Chi of Once A Bride texted me that we'll meet at Starbucks. Had a great time at the meeting, was able to personally meet Ms. Chi and her husband, and details of the wedding were discussed. :)

Aug 11 - Quiapo and Divisoria day! Mama (Topher's mom) and I agreed to meet at around 6am at the bus station going to Manila. We first went to Kisses' dorm to drop her things and then we went to Quiapo where I read I can find Wellmansson and other shops that sells beads and raw materials for the wedding cord. We found this store (which name I forgot) and they sell beads and materials cheaper than Wellmansson. I got a bit crazy and purchased a bit more than needed. Jeepney ride to Ilaya where we had lunch (Jolibee) and scouted for sellers of entourage cloth. Then we bought some ribbons before heading home.

Aug 12 - Tatay and I went to 3 couturiers near our place to scout for the one that will make the entourage dresses. First is Paul Mateo's place in Imus, Cavite. I've been a client of Paul before (I had my MOH gown made there) and I know he makes dresses very well. Prices was a bit higher than what I expected but it seems to be the norm nowadays in Manila. Next was Mr. Boy Kastner of Sheaths Couture. His place is in Molino, via Daang Hari. His shop is also their home and it was busy that time. He's very nice and easy to talk to. He knows a lot regarding dresses and made some sketches for the MOB and MOG. The last one was Dore along Aguinaldo Highway in Dasma, and I was very very surprised with their rates. Too expensive! We went to SM Dasma after to have some snacks before heading home.

Aug 13 - Last day in Manila. We (me, Chai, Nanay and Tatay) went to Tagaytay for lunch and also had coffee afterwards. Too bad Carlo cannot miss class, we would have been complete.

(us @ Pancake House)

At around 5pm, we picked up Carlo from school and my luggage as well and then we headed to Las Pinas to say goodbye to Nanay Yeng and our other relatives. By 7pm, we headed to the airport where we meet up with Mama and Kisses. My flight was not until 10pm that night but I got there early.

(Kisses, Mama, Tatay, me, Nanay and Carlo)
It has been a long and activity-filled vacation for me when I went home. Although it was not an ideal homecoming for me, I was glad to be there for Lola. I know in my heart that I had to be there for her. I miss Lola Cute, everyday. Specially when I chat with Nanat via Skype. I keep on thinking to ask about Lola, then I realized she already left us. :( I miss her so. Next year when we go home for the wedding, I know she'll be there watching over us.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails